Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Comment on Others' Blogs

I really enjoyed reading my classmates' blogs. Although, some of them I have only skimmed because of time constraints, I found many reoccurring themes. One that I think most of us agree on is how interesting it was to learn about John Trudell. I am one who had never heard of this man and I think he is a person that should be taught in history. He belongs with other human activists in the history books.
Another theme that seemed prominent is mascots. This topic can be very touchy but I think everyone's comments to those blogs that talked about mascots was handled well. I also now know to only wear orange on Tuesdays, Thursdays or Fridays...LOL.
I think there were a few good points about Debbie Reese's blog about American Indians depictions in children literature. I agree with those that say that it needs to be taken in stride. Most of the books were written in a different time and therefore also illustrated when the world had a different, and I believe less sympathetic, view towards others. I would like to think that the world is changing and that we, as a people, are becoming more aware of differences and instead of pointing them out or exploiting them, we are embracing those differences.

No comments: