Saturday, February 14, 2009

"How do we sell the stars?"

This quote from the John Trudell poem got me thinking. Ironically, I was driving home from work the other night and I heard on the radio an ad to "buy a star for someone you love." This made me laugh because we had just talked about this very concept in class. I had heard about this concept of buying your own star before and I was shocked that I heard it on the radio again. Especially with the economy the way it is. Does this company really expect that people are going to essentially waste their money on something that they can never physically touch let alone look at everyday? I started thinking about the method for which they "sell" stars. Does each country have certain amount of stars to sell? How are the stars divided among nations? I understand that there are a crazy amount of stars in the sky but whose decision is it to decide which stars are sold? I think that "owning" a star is a bizarre concept. Obviously it is just another way to make money. Apparently there must be people out there who are buying into this sort of thing. I wonder who those people are and why they think that they have the right to buy a star. It is, to say the least, a very weird phenomena.

1 comment:

Mr. Blackwell said...

Jennifer,

First of all, hahahaha! This post is entertaining, hilarious, and extremely thought provoking! It makes me want to think about the star real estate market. I'm guessing the Sun is either off limits or way out of my league to purchase. I'd probably be limited to the star ghetto or have to sublet someone else's star because I don't have that kind of money.

But in all seriousness, I like how you say, "why do they think they have the right to buy a star?" This must have been the question the American Indians asked themselves when the European settlers came over and claimed this land as their own. What gave them the right? What gives anyone the right? I mean, thankfully they did, of course, otherwise we probably wouldn't be here today but why couldn't they have shared the land instead of steal? Great post!

Ryan